Each week we provide non-perishable food items and some personal items to registered families to help supplement their needs and ease their worries. We depend on the generous food and monetary donations of our parishioners and others and the dedicated service of a staff of volunteers to keep the Pantry up and running. Donations are gratefully accepted.
Food Pantry Facts:
- The St. Francis Food Pantry distributes non-perishable groceries every Tuesday from 9:30-11:00am to approximately 80-100 families who live in our community. The pantry serves clients who live in the 60525 and 60526 zip codes.
- Some weeks we have special offerings for our clients, which in the past have included fresh produce, school supplies, bread, books, hams, turkeys, and pies.
- The Food Pantry shelves are stocked primarily by generous donations from St. Francis parishioners. These include both food and monetary contributions. In addition, the St. Francis Food Pantry is among local food pantries that receive a generous check from the proceeds of the annual La Grange/Western Springs CROP Walk against hunger, sponsored by Church World Service. The St. Francis Food Pantry receives donations from other groups, including the All Saints Episcopal Church, First Congregational Church, Methodist Church of Western Springs, Grace Lutheran Church, Bethlehem Woods, Retirement Community AARP, the Boy & Girl Scouts, the annual Post Office Mother’s Day collection, and other local community and school organizations. The pantry was a recipient of the Empty Bowls fundraiser held by the Lagrange Business Community.
- Donations of in-date groceries can be dropped off in the rectory or at the side alters of the church.
- Suggested staple items include: tuna, soup, beans, rice, peanut butter, jelly, pasta, pasta sauce, canned fruit and vegetables, macaroni & cheese, and cereal. Favorite extras include crackers, cookies, coffee, tea, juice, laundry and dish soap, powered milk, cooking oil, paper goods, condiments, toiletries and all sizes of diapers.
- Saint Francis Xavier pantry is a member of the Greater Chicago Food Depository.
Volunteers are needed on Mondays from 10:30 - 11:30 a.m. to sort food, as well as on Tuesdays from 8:30 - 11:30 a.m. to pack bags of food, serve clients and clean-up. Volunteers are welcome to be a part of this ministry as their schedule permits--weekly, monthly, or for special projects and food drives.
Please contact Mary Freeman at email@example.com or 708-352-0168 to volunteer, if you would like more information or if you are interested in donating to the SFX Food Pantry.